You know that huge ball at Epcot? So she who hosts the attraction Spaceship Earth, being inside the silver geosphere that is the symbol of Epcot , it is composed of 954 triangular panels and is now sponsored by Siemens.
Who accompanies us in our Youtube channel understands the joke about the “ball” at epcot that Carlos once said and because of that he kept repeating it the whole trip ehehehe.
I'll put the video right here below for those who haven't seen it.
A curiosity about this “big ball” is that on a clear day, any plane flying over Florida will be able to see it.
In this attraction you will follow all the technological evolution and man's journey on Earth and although it is a longer attraction, it is a classic of Disney parks, even because it's inside the ball and there's a nice surprise at the end.
Of course, depending on the time of year you're going, it may be closed as Disney has announced plans for a major upgrade to this attraction in the coming years.
How is the Spaceship earth attraction?
The Spaceship Earth is an attraction that explores the entire development of human beings and their constant search for new and better ways to communicate.
As soon as you enter the attraction, you will board a kind of cart that will take you through different scenarios with animatronic dolls that show how communication between human beings has evolved throughout history.
The attraction is quite old, which is why it will undergo an upgrade, by today's standards, the animatronics may seem outdated, but absorb as much as you can as this is a true relic of history. Walt Disney World.
First you will see primitive men, back in the cave age, with painted walls, then you will pass by Egyptian clerks, Roman centurions and Benedictine monks who copied ancient manuscripts by hand in order to be able to pass on the wisdom of the past.
In addition to Islamic scholars, Michelangelo painted the famous "Sistine Chapel", Gutenberg and his printing press, in addition to the emergence and history of the telegraph, radio, television and even the computer!
Undoubtedly enter this iconic geosphere to understand how the remarkable moments of our evolution were and that gave the possibility of the evolution of technology in the means of communication from the past to the present day.
At Epcot's Spaceship Earth you will be transported through history, traveling back to the beginning of our history.
For the time when the first men transcribed their thoughts on the walls of caves.
The Egyptians invented papyri and the Phoenicians created and developed the alphabet.
You will see how ideas spread, such as the invention of the printing press by Johannes Gutenberg, or the Greek systems of mathematics and works inspired by the great masters of the Renaissance.
You can see how the wheels of time turn faster and faster as time advances.
Mainly for the modern age of media, from the end of the Civil War in the newspapers to the long-awaited television broadcast of the man landing on the moon.
Spaceship Earth is a true history lesson narrated by Dame Judi Dench, with realistic displays and a very pleasant 16-minute ride, great for relaxing and resting your legs.
Returning to Earth and to the present time, you will be able to create the future you want, using the touch screen that is on the front of the cart, just answer a few questions, in several languages, and that's it, your tomorrow will be there.
Stay tuned for the video, it's very fun and funny!
This attraction goes far beyond a simple attraction, as it was created to be one of the main attractions of Epcot, so the Disney Imagineers managed to bring together the greatest talents in the world for this creation.
Featured talent includes award-winning Academy® winner Judi Dench and 10-time Emmy® Award winner Bruce Boughton, who conducted a large 63-piece orchestra and 24-voice choir for the soundtrack.
Listening carefully, you will notice that the songs in each scene contain styles and instruments according to each era, making a beautiful transition from one era to another.
The author of the novel Fahrenheit 451, Disney super fan Ray Bradbury, helped design the sphere for Epcot, which is 55 meters high, in addition to writing the original script for the toy.
Now it's easy to understand why the attraction, despite so long, continues to be a hit with Epcot's young and old visitors.
Facts about the attraction
The Bible page Johann Gutenberg is examining is an exact replica of a Bible page on display at the Huntington Library in San Marino, CA.
- Spaceship Earth debuted in 1982 as part of the Epcot opening. The original narrator was Lawrence Dobkin, who was replaced in 1986 by Walter Cronkite. The attraction underwent another rehabilitation in 1994.
- In '94, Jeremy Irons (voice of the Lion King scar) replaced Walter Cronkite as narrator. Additionally, the ending was changed, more audio animatronics were added, and the song Tomorrow's Child was replaced with an instrumental musical ending.
- In 2008, the fourth edition of the tour opened with current narration by Dame Judi Dench.
- If Spaceship Earth were a golf ball, the player would need to be a mile tall!
- Spaceship Earth is made from alucabond, a carbon-aluminum composite, which is easily cleaned and can withstand Florida's climate.
- Spaceship Earth is actually 2 spheres, one inside the other. The outer shell houses the inner core and steering system.
- Spaceship Earth has a unique gutter system, so passing visitors don't get rain on them. The panels are designed to suck in water as it hits them, and in turn replenish the water around the World showcase Lagoon.
- For the Millennium Celebration, a special structure was attached to Spaceship Earth, Mickey's Hand holding the year 2000. Later, the word EPCOT replaced the 2000 on Spaceship Earth.
- At 257 feet tall, the Millennium 2000 Icon was the highest point on the Walt Disney World Resort, surpassing the 196 meters of the Hollywood Studios' Terror Tower.
- Mickey's gloved hand, wand and "2000" logo weighed nearly 50 tons. The steel structure that supported the icon weighed 250 tons. Each number in the “2000” logo was 36 feet tall.
- In 1988, the Epcot Daredevil Circus Spectacular was held 4 times a day in Future World. As part of the act, two space bikers raced towards Spaceship Earth at high speed! The Rodriguez Family also performed trapeze acts around the sphere!
- The attraction was completely redone in 2007. The scenery was cleaned, repainted and many new audio-anatronic and cutscenes were added. The new audio-animatronics are incredible, very realistic and really bring each area to life. (Deb's review of Earth's current spacecraft.)
Frequently Asked Questions about Spaceship Earth
The SpaceShip Earth Tour lasts 15 minutes. It's a reasonable time, besides being nice to see all that information, it's a great way to rest your feet and get out of the Florida heat on hot days.
Spaceship earth tends to get pretty crowded in the mornings on crowded days, and Tier FastPass + from Epcot ends up “forcing” us to usually get a fastPass for her. But it's not usually necessary.
Yes! The attraction is very slow and a ride that can be cool for children.
At the same time, it is more of a cultural outing than entertainment for children. children very small. The animatronics are pretty cool to look at, but we know that 15 minutes for a kid can be a lot.
So parents can decide what their kids will think of this attraction before they go.
Spaceship earth does not pass the minimum height to ride the attraction.
Passengers must transfer to a standard wheelchair and then to the passenger vehicle.
Guests boarding the attraction should be prepared to take a small step from a moving walkway to the moving vehicle.
Due to the nature of the experience, guests with service animals must consult with a cast member at the attraction for boarding information.
Since Spaceship Earth is right at the park's main entrance, visitors tend to walk it before heading to the other attractions. Try to check in before 10am or after 4pm.
I hope again that this post helped you in your research for your trip to Disney or Orlando.
As a way to help us keep the blog going, we just ask you to help us by sharing this publication and subscribing to our social networks as Facebook, Instagram or Youtube channel.
In addition to helping us, we are sure that there you will find hundreds of useful posts for your trip!
About the Author Carlos Braga:
Unparalleled experience in Orlando and Disney! As a former Universal Orlando team member and a passionate devotee of the magic of Disney, I have become a true Orlando travel expert. Before becoming a renowned travel consultant dedicated to Orlando, I had already made hundreds of visits to the parks, cultivating my knowledge and passion mainly over the last 7 years as a consultant and specialist in Disney travel.
My journey into this enchanted world began in 1995, when I took my first trip to Orlando. Since then, my love for Disney and the city has only grown. In 2023, we celebrate the sixth anniversary of 'Partiu Disney Parks', consolidating our role as one of the main sources of information about Disney and Orlando Parks.
During these six years of existence, we have continued to offer quality and updated content, being the reliable source for all those looking for essential information to plan their trip to Disney and Orlando. With my vast experience and passion for this magical destination, I am here to guide you every step of the way towards the most incredible Orlando and Disney experience!